The Place to Shop
Midcity at the Crossroads
—Shaw Heritage Trail —
Many stores were owned by immigrant families who lived upstairs. It was not unusual to find side-by-side an Irish funeral home, a Chinese restaurant, a German hardware store, a Jewish delicatessen, and an Irish saloon. In the 1920s, Henrietta Zaltrow's father ran a small grocery next to a Chinese laundry. "My father used to borrow money from them all the time," she recalled. Shopkeepers frequently extended credit and more to their clientele.
The commercial section here and closer to F Street attracted so many Jewish business people that by 1900 three synagogues — Washington Hebrew, Adas Israel, and Ohev Sholom — were located just south of Mount Vernon Square.
German immigrants Henry and Charlotte Boegeholz opened their saloon and restaurant at 1139 Seventh (on the next block to your right) around 1874. By 1900 Census figures counted five adults, six children, and a servant, all living in the two upper floors. In 1911 K.C. Braun retired as head butler of the German Embassy and bought the business.
The descendants of hardware store founder Henry Ruppert have
Most of these blocks were devastated in the riots of 1968. They remained a sad reminder for nearly a decade until nearby churches collaborated with the federal government to build the apartments you see today.
This neighborhood has been a place between places, "where races and classes bumped and mingled as they got a foothold in the city. It has attracted the powerful seeking city conven-iences as well as immigrants and migrants just starting out. By 1900 the Shaw neighborhood lay just north of the downtown federal offices and white businesses, and south of the African American-dominated U Street commercial corridor and Howard University.
Longstanding local businesses took root here, and leaders flourished: Carter G. Woodson, Langston Hughes, John Wesley Powell, B.F. Saul, and A. Philip Randolph. The nation's finest "colored" schools were here too. By the 1930s the area was known as Midcity or Shaw (for Shaw Junior High School).
Over time the shops of Seventh and Ninth streets became a bargain-rate alternative to downtown's fancy department stores. There were juke joints, Irish saloons, storefront evangelists, delicatessans, and dozens of
Midcity at the Crossroads: Shaw Heritage Trail, a booklet capturing highlights of the 17 trail markers, is available in English and Spanish at local businesses along the way. To learn about other DC neighborhoods, please visit www.CulturalTourismDC.org.
Erected 2006 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 17 of 17.)
Location. 38° 54.248′ N, 77° 1.305′ W. Marker is in Shaw, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of L Street NW and 7th Street NW, on the right when traveling east on L Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1035 7th Street NW, Washington DC 20001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Roots of Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral (a few steps from this marker); Remembering "the Village" (within shouting distance of this marker); Words and Deeds (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Public Library (about 600 feet away); Reaching for Equality (about 600 feet away); For the Working People (about 700 feet away); “Sweet Daddy” Grace (about 700 feet away); To Market, To Market (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shaw.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2019, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 10, 2019, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.