Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Ohio School for the Deaf

 
 
Ohio School for the Deaf Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
1. Ohio School for the Deaf Marker
Inscription. The Ohio School for the Deaf was established in 1829 by an act of the Ohio Legislature. Although the fifth school for the deaf in the country, it was the first school to be 100% funded by the state. The school first opened in a small rented building on the corner of Broad and High Streets. In 1834, construction of a permanent school was completed at the East Town Street location, now site of the Topiary Garden in Old Deaf School Park. It was there in 1869 that Ohio Governor Rutherford B. Hayes presided over the first commencement exercises in the nation for deaf students. By 1940, the school was overcrowded and the buildings were outmoded, leading to the purchase of 130 acres on Morse Road. The school at its current location opened on November 8, 1953.
 
Erected 2004 by Ohio School for the Deaf and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 88-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 3.89′ N, 83° 0.399′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker can be reached from Morse Road (U.S. 23). Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Ohio School for the Deaf, in its heritage
Ohio School for the Deaf Marker and Heritage Park image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
2. Ohio School for the Deaf Marker and Heritage Park
park located 0.1 miles from its Morse Road entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Morse Road, Columbus OH 43214, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ohio State School for the Blind (approx. 0.7 miles away); Beechwold Pillars (approx. mile away); The Charity Newsies (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA (approx. 1.6 miles away); Worthington Masonic Museum (approx. 1.6 miles away); Harding Hospital Campus (approx. 1.6 miles away); James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel (approx. 1.7 miles away); Worthington Historic District (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. EducationGovernment
 
Cornerstone from Original Ohio School for the Deaf Building image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
3. Cornerstone from Original Ohio School for the Deaf Building
In heritage park.
Opening Services Commemorative Stone image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
4. Opening Services Commemorative Stone
From original Ohio School for the Deaf building. In heritage park.
175th Anniversary Commemoration image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., Ohio Schoo
5. 175th Anniversary Commemoration
In heritage park
Ohio School for the Deaf Alumni Association Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
6. Ohio School for the Deaf Alumni Association Marker
In heritage park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,347 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement