Saint Jo in Montague County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Phillips House
On January 6, 1897, G.W. bought 320 acres on the eastern edge of Saint Jo. Three years later, he moved his family to a temporary dwelling on the property. Additional acreage was purchased in 1902 and, in 1911, Barney Lewis was hired to construct the family home. The house took two years to complete and quickly became the center for social activities. When the family was not working, they enjoyed a game of baseball in the open field west of the house.
The Phillips House, also known as The Big House, displays
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17563.)
Location. 33° 41.349′ N, 97° 31.031′ W. Marker is in Saint Jo, Texas, in Montague County. Marker is on U.S. 82 0.1 miles east of Derby Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in a pull-out on the north side of the highway, just outside the main gate and entrance to the Phillips House grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Jo TX 76265, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Head of Elm (approx. half a mile away); Stonewall Saloon (approx. half a mile away); Town of Saint Jo Montague Catholic Cemetery (approx. 11 miles away); United Methodist Church of Montague (approx. 11.8 miles away); Frontier Montague County Trails & Mail Routes (approx. 12.8 miles away); Red River Station / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (approx. 12.9 miles away); Cotton Gin & Grist Millstones (approx. 12.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saint Jo.
Regarding The Phillips House. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (2013)
Categories. • Architecture • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Phillips House.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 17, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 15, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.