Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of First Home in Cameron
In 1890 this pavilion was erected to accommodate band concerts, meetings and rallies. It was the scene in 1892 of a landmark debate between two gubernatorial candidates: Gov. James S. Hogg and George Clark.
Erected 1969 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7947.)
Location. 30° 51.169′ N, 96° 58.425′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on North Lamar Avenue north of East 4th Street (U.S. 190), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in Cameron Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (approx. ¼ mile away); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (approx. ¼ mile away); Milam County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); First National Bank of Cameron (approx. ¼ mile away); Ben Milam (approx. ¼ mile away); Milam County Jail of 1895 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
Also see . . . Ross, Lawrence Sullivan [Sul] - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Site of First Home in Cameron.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 92 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?