Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Caldwell in Burleson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Tenoxtitlan

“Dream Capital of Texas”

 

— (Site About 8 Miles Northeast) —

 
Fort Tenoxtitlan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
1. Fort Tenoxtitlan Marker
Inscription.  Founded by Mexico as a bulwark against Anglo-American immigration, this fort and its nearby city were twice proposed for the capital of Texas.

Alarmed by the influx of Anglo settlers into Texas, Mexico in 1830 sought to erect a line of forts to keep out the intruders. The ancient Aztec name for Mexico City (originally pronounced "Ten-ox-teet-lan") was given this site; it means "prickly pear place". So hopeful of the fort's success was the military commandant of the region that he envisioned it as the capital of Texas. But Anglo immigration did not cease. Instead it thrived on the friendship of the local soldiers and incoming pioneers. The colonizer Sterling C. Robertson introduced scores of settlers.

In 1832 the soldiers were withdrawn and the fort finally defaulted to the Anglos. Subsequently it was a supply center and mustering point for expeditions against the Indians. During its brief life many Texas patriots lived here, including 5 signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence, a martyr of the Alamo siege, and 7 soldiers of the Battle of San Jacinto.

Tenoxtitlan was again suggested for the capital of Texas
Fort Tenoxtitlan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
2. Fort Tenoxtitlan Marker
during the Republic, but Austin won out. In 1841, after many Indian raids, the site was abandoned.
 
Erected 1970 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8634.)
 
Location. 30° 34.866′ N, 96° 38.12′ W. Marker is near Caldwell, Texas, in Burleson County. Marker is on Presidential Corridor East (State Highway 21) east of County Road 214, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in a roadside park roughly 4.5 miles east of Caldwell. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Caldwell TX 77836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elizabeth Chapel Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Kings Highway (approx. 1.8 miles away); Cooks Point (approx. 1.8 miles away); Near Homesite of Judge Andrew S. Broaddus (approx. 1.8 miles away); Burleson County (approx. 4.6 miles away); John Mitchell (approx. 4.8 miles away); Burleson County, C.S.A. (approx. 4.8 miles away); a different marker also named Burleson County (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caldwell.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Tenoxtitlán - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Forts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for Fort Tenoxtitlan.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 134 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement