Near Coleman in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Meeting under a bush-arbor in 1867, seventeen members constituted the Vilulah Baptist Church. They named it after the loved hymn-tune -- Vilulia in the old Sacred Harp Song Book -- afterward shortening the name to its present spelling.
Land was given for the church by “Uncle Bobby” Knowles. The committee appointed to choose the church name were James N. Bigbie, who lost an arm while serving with the U.S. Army in the Mexican War, and Captain William Forsythe Davis of the Confederate Army. These and the following were honored founders of Vilulah Community: Albert Bailey, who gave land for the school, Jarrett Ragan, Abner Belcher, Judge Irvine Saunders, Baal Smith, Dr. Thomas Bigbie, A.S.A. McLendon, Alexander Morgan, Andrew Blackburn, Benjamin Joiner.
This roadside park was sponsored by the Vilulah Community Improvement Club, Winner of awards in the Chattahoochee Valley Contests of 1952-1953.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 120-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Coleman GA 39836, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland High School ( approx. 2.5 miles away); Mt. Gilead Baptist Church ( approx. 9.2 miles away); Old Cotton Hill Seminary ( approx. 9.5 miles away); 1814 Boundary / Founding of Fort Gaines ( approx. 10.4 miles away); Oketeyeconne / Chattahoochee Theater ( approx. 10.4 miles away); Historic Sites ( approx. 10.6 miles away); Clay County Courthouse ( approx. 10.7 miles away); Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines ( approx. 10.7 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker was originally erected in a roadside park on US 27 about eight miles south of Cuthbert, but was later moved to its present location at the Vilulah Church (apparently in the late 1980s or early 1990s).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 24, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 902 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.