Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

1915 New Braunfels Post Office

 
 
1915 New Braunfels Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 16, 2019
1. 1915 New Braunfels Post Office Marker
Inscription.  The old post office of New Braunfels was built during the full-scale 20th century transformation of the United States Postal System. Programs like the United States Postal Savings System, parcel post, airmail, and improved rural delivery services expanded the reach and popularity of the postal system for letters and packages. In 1915, President Woodrow Wilson signed an act to fund the construction of a postal office building in New Braunfels. Prior to this, the postal service had its headquarters in various homes and businesses. The new building was dedicated in 1915, with the names on the cornerstone of William G. McAdoo, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury responsible for post offices, and James A. Wetmore, supervising architect. Many contractors were involved in construction, with Round Rock Limestone and D’Hanis and Acme Brick companies as suppliers for much of the exterior materials.

During the Great Depression and World War II, the office also sold war bonds and handled food stamps and ration books. In the 1960s, the office was remodeled and an addition to the north side was constructed. The location of the New Braunfels Post Office
1915 New Braunfels Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 16, 2019
2. 1915 New Braunfels Post Office
was eventually moved to Seguin Avenue in 1985. For 70 years, the New Braunfels community was supported and served through this post office building. In 2007-08, the building was completely renovated to house McAdoo’s Seafood Company, named for the former Secretary of the Treasury.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18087.)
 
Location. 29° 42.16′ N, 98° 7.583′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of North Castell Avenue and West Mill Street, on the right when traveling north on North Castell Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 196 North Castell Avenue, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Old Schmitz Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louis Henne Co. (about 400 feet away); Plumeyer Bakery Building (about 500 feet away); Main Plaza Bandstand (about 500 feet away); International & Great Northern Railroad in New Braunfels (about 600 feet away); Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (about 600 feet away); Comal County, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away); New Braunfels (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for 1915 New Braunfels Post Office.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement