Bandera in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Mormon Settlers in Bandera County
Settling first in Austin, then Fredericksburg (where they opened grist and saw mills) the group at last established "Mormon Camp" near Bandera on the Medina River.
There they built houses with vegetable gardens in between; milled grain; made furniture from native wood to sell in East.
In 1858, after Wight's death, the colony dispersed, although a remnant remained in Bandera.
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3474.)
Location. 29° 43.596′ N, 99° 4.382′ W. Marker is in Bandera, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 16), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Main Street, Bandera TX 78003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bandera County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Camp Montel C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense Old Texas Ranger Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Jack Phillips (within shouting distance of this marker); Bandera, Texas USA (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Great Western Cattle Trail (about 300 feet away); Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World" (about 300 feet away); Bandera Historic Town Center (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bandera.
Also see . . . Wight, Lyman - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 20, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.