Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Columbus

 
 
City of Columbus Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 18, 2019
1. City of Columbus Marker
Inscription.  Oldest surveyed and platted Anglo-American town in Texas. About Christmas, 1821, Robert and Joseph Kuykendall and Daniel Gilleland settled at this place-in vicinity of old Indian campgrounds on Mexico-to-Sabine River Trail. Stephen F. Austin had noted advantages of this spot earlier. In 1823 he and the Baron de Bastrop surveyed land here. Although they relocated the capital, this site remained a hamlet with a grist mill, ferry, other improvements.

Soon known as Beason's, community had as settlers, along with the first three men, many others of the "Old 300": Abram, John, Rawson, Thomas V., and William Alley; Benjamin Beason, Caleb R. Bostick, David Bright, Robert Brotherton, James Cummins, W. B. DeWees, Thomas Kuykendall, James McNair, James Nelson, Gabriel Strawn Snyder; Elizabeth, James, and John Tumlinson; Nathaniel Whiting, and possibly others. In 1824, Milton Cook opened a tavern where many Texans stopped over the years. By 1835, village had been named. In Texas War for Independence, buildings here were burned by the Texas Army, to keep them out of the hands of Santa Anna. But after the victory at San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, Columbus
City of Columbus Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 18, 2019
2. City of Columbus Marker
rose again. W. B. DeWees and J. W. E. Wallace platted the new townsite in 1837.
 
Erected 1973 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 980.)
 
Location. 29° 42.329′ N, 96° 32.523′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Bowie Street, on the right when traveling west on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Columbus Volunteer Fire Department. Marker is at or near this postal address: 602 Spring Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the American Declaration of Independence (within shouting distance of this marker); Townsend-West House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Railway Hospital (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abram Alley Log Cabin (about 300 feet away); Dilue Rose Harris (about 400 feet away); Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris House (about 400 feet away); Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building (about 500 feet away); William B. DeWees (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .  Columbus, TX - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
More. Search the internet for City of Columbus.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.