Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Yermo in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Calico’s School House

 
 
Calico’s School House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 16, 2006
1. Calico’s School House Marker
Inscription. Calico’s original school house was built in 1885, at this location above the town.

What you are seeing here is a replica, built in the early 1950’s. Old photographs were used in order to match the architecture as closely as possible, however this replica is about one-third less than the size of the original!

Calico’s first school operated out of a boarding house until the new school was built. Overall, the “Calico School District” ran from a fall term in 1882 until fall of 1899 when Calico experienced its decline as a mining boom town.

From the Calico School District records, as many as an average of 30 pupils would be enrolled for a class term, with an average daily attendance of about half that amount! Monthly teacher’s salaries ranged from $70 to $110. In comparison, the average silver miner’s wage was three dollars a day.

Most of the children who attended were the sons & daughters of the merchants in Calico since many of the miners did not have families.

Mrs. Lucy Lane, long time resident of Calico, actually attended the old one-room school when she came here in 1885. According to her, the Calico school house was also used for church services! The school house was used for Sunday School as well, according to the Calico Print newspaper, and religious services during occasional
Calico’s School House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 16, 2006
2. Calico’s School House
Marker is mounted on the wall to the right of the porch window
week nights. In an interview with Mrs. Lane, she was asked, “What games were played by the children in school?” and her answer was, “Catch the ball, blind man’s bluff, drop the handkerchief, run sheep run, toss the bean bag, marbles, etc.”

Calico’s last school teacher, Mrs. Margaret Kincaid Oliver, is buried here at the Calico Cemetery.
 
Location. 34° 57.084′ N, 116° 51.893′ W. Marker is near Yermo, California, in San Bernardino County. Touch for map. Marker and site are located at the far end of town, up on the hill above the town. Marker is in this post office area: Yermo CA 92398, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lucy Bell Lane (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Town of Calico (approx. ¼ mile away); Calico Lives Again (approx. ¼ mile away); Daggett (approx. 6.1 miles away); Daggett Garage (approx. 6.2 miles away); Forks of the Road (approx. 9.2 miles away); National Old Trails Hwy/Route 66 (approx. 9.6 miles away); Barstow Harvey House (approx. 9.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yermo.
 
More about this marker. See nearby Calico and Lucy Bell Lane markers for additional information.
 
Additional comments.
Calico’s School House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 16, 2006
3. Calico’s School House

1. From: The Ghosts of Calico
The most incredible story is one of two British tourists who reported having a long visit with a staff person in period costume, who explained to them that she was the “last teacher’ in Calico. As they were ready to leave, they had pictures taken with the self-proclaimed teacher. The last school mistress in Calico was Margaret Olivier, who passed away in 1932 and is buried in the Calico Cemetery. When the couple returned home and got their pictures developed, they were amazed to see that the “staff member” didn’t appear in the photographs. Later, they found that there had been no staff member working at the school house during their visit.
    — Submitted October 28, 2008.

 
Additional keywords. One Room Schoolhouses
 
Categories. EducationIndustry & CommerceNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Photo Displayed on the Wall Across from the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 16, 2006
4. Photo Displayed on the Wall Across from the Marker
The "Calico School" as it looked in 1885. This "Restoration", on the Original location, was completed in 1955.
School House - Calico California image. Click for full size.
Photo by Merle Porter, Published by Royal Pictures, Colton, Ca.
5. School House - Calico California
Description on Postcard: Over-looking the Silver Camp of Calico is the small school house where the miner's children received their three "R's". This school was built in 1884 but for two years the children had been going to the little red school in nearby Waterman. It was standard practice for the school teacher to wear gloves and hat while teaching...M.P.
Calico’s School House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 16, 2006
6. Calico’s School House
Grave of Margaret Kincaid Oliver - Mentioned on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, March 16, 2006
7. Grave of Margaret Kincaid Oliver - Mentioned on Marker
Calico School Teacher 1898 & 1899
Born 1849 - Died 1933
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,642 times since then and 117 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week April 18, 2010. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   7. submitted on December 3, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement