Cowpens in Spartanburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Baptist Church, Cowpens
Fourteen members met in the depot of the Atlanta & Charlotte Railroad on Aug. 13, 1878 to organize this church. The original one room frame building was erected on this site in 1879.
The second building made of hand-pressed brick in a kiln on Waters Road was dedicated June 3, 1906.
The present edifice was begun in 1955 dedicated Oct. 22, 1961, and a new wing added in 1978.
Location. 35° 1.059′ N, 81° 48.315′ W. Marker is in Cowpens, South Carolina, in Spartanburg County. Marker is on West Church Street (State Highway S-42-71). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 W Church St., Cowpens SC 29330, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cowpens Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Cowpens Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); The Pacolet River Flood of 1903 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Clifton World War II Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Clifton Baptist Church / First Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Early Iron Works (approx. 5½ miles away); Welcome to Glendale Shoals Pacolet River Heritage Preserve (approx. 6.3 miles away); Goucher Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Camp Croft (approx. 7.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cowpens.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 28, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.