Sharon Springs in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historic Main Street Tour
Gardner also built the Inhalation House in 1881, as part of his continuing development of the spa. The patient would "inhale” the sulphur vapors through a cup fitted over the face. This reputedly helped with lung and bronchial ailments. Doctors would prescribe a regimented treatment specific to the patient's ailment. This would determine the daily dosage of sulphur either in oral, topical or vaporized application. In the last four decades of the 1900's, the building was used only as a spa related doctor''s office, as inhalation treatments were no longer prescribed.
John's son, Henry Gardner, opened the Imperial Baths on the site of the Congress Hall hotel in 1927 to attract a "modern”
Erected 1999 by The Sharon Historical Society.
Location. 42° 47.784′ N, 74° 37.002′ W. Marker is in Sharon Springs, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is on Main Street (Route 10), on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon Springs NY 13459, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (a few steps from this marker); Chestnut Street Schoolhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The White Sulphur Spring (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Magnesia Temple and Baths (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (about 700 feet away); The Lehman Block (approx. half a mile away); Rockville (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon Springs.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on March 11, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 2. submitted on March 12, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.