Brenham in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Brenham Normal and Industrial College
By 1913, 130 students were enrolled. Classes from elementary to high school were offered as well as Normal School education, where the students could earn a certification to become schoolteachers. Additional classes included shorthand, typewriting, bookkeeping, commercial law, business arithmetic, correspondence, agriculture, horticulture, mechanics, and girls’ industrial education department with sewing, housekeeping, cooking, laundering, food preparation, physiology and personal hygiene, piano, organ, and vocal music. The Brenham Normal and Industrial College discontinued its educational operations in 1927; however, the Theological
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18327.)
Location. 30° 10.515′ N, 96° 23.2′ W. Marker is in Brenham, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Mt. Olive Street 0.1 miles south of State Highway 105, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1504 Mt. Olive St., Brenham TX 77833, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bassett and Bassett Banking House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Washington County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.9 miles away); Washington County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Texas Confederate County Commissioners Court (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Brenham Maifest (approx. 0.9 miles away); Former Bank Building of Giddings & Giddings (approx. 0.9 miles away); Schmid Bros. Building (approx. 0.9 miles away); Blue Bell Creameries (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brenham.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 12, 2019, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.