Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Carlisle in Bonaventure MRC, Quebec — French Canadian Region
 

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church

Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic

 

—Circuit Patrimonial New Carlisle Heritage Circuit Stop 9 —

 
L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
1. L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church Marker
Inscription.  

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's

Vers 1784, les premiers Loyalistes (citoyens restés fidèles à la couronne britannique après l'indépendance américaine) viennent s'installer sur les côtes de la Baie des Chaleurs.

Au début, les offices religieux sont célébrés dans un établissement de bois rond sise sur les terres communales, au bas de la rue Church.

À la fin du XVIIe siècle, les premiers missionnaires itinérants sont envoyés par l'Église d'Écosse et, en 1801, le premier pasteur anglican s'établit à New Carlisle.

Vers 1820, on procède à l'instauration officielle de la religion anglicane, on ouvre le premier registre, c'est alors qu'on projette de bâtir une église sur la rue Main.

Les travaux ont commencé entre 1824 et 1826. Selon les lois anglicanes, la dette doit être entièrement remboursée pour que l'église soit consacrée. La cérémonie aura lieu le 31 juillet 1856. Cet édifice sera démoli en 1894.

Une nouvelle église est alors construite sur le même site, un peu plus au sud. Ses lignes perpendiculaires sont inspirées de l'architecture anglaise, sa façade est orientée à l'ouest et sa tour carrée

Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
2. Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic Marker
centrale est garnie de flèches aux angles. Elle est consacrée en 1897.

Au cimetière, on retrouve les pierres tombales de certains notables: William Sheppard et son fils Martin, shérifs pendant un siècle; le colonel Isaac Mann, juge des plaidoyers communs; W.R. Le Boutillier Fauvel et John Robinson Hamilton tous deux députés; Charles R. Scoles, surintendant de la compagnie ferroviaire Québec Oriental et le réverend George Milne.

[Légendes de photo lues]
• 1826 - 1894

En avant-plan la première église et, à droite, la construction de l'église actuelle consacrée en 1894.

Jacob Mountain 1793 - 1825
Premier évêque du diocèse de Québec. C'est son fils, le révérend George Jehoshaphat Mountain qui consacra la première église en 1856.

• Révérend George Milne

Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme

Les communautés anglophones du Québec ont toujours porté un attachment et un respect particuliers à leur histoire et à leur patrimoine. Les efforts déployés par la communauté de New Carlisle en septembre 1923 en font foi.

[Légendes photo, dans le sens des aiguilles d'une montre à partir du centre, lire]
• Pour accueillir Lord et Lady Byng, les citoyens avaient construit deux arches temporaires. Celle ci-dessus, recouverte de branches de pin, était située sur la rue Principale tout près d'ici.

• Vers le nord,

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
3. L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church Marker
à partir de la cour de l'école anglaise.
La population est rassemblée dans la cour de l'Académie protestante pour entendre le gouverneur général. Sur la droite de la photo, nous pouvons reconnaître une partie de la vieille école qui y avait été relocalisée. Sur la gauche, nous apercevons la résidence de l'école, en construction.

• La deuxième arche avait été construite en face du palais de justice et de la prison ou aujourd'hui, en face du parc municipal.

• Le 7 septembre 1923, Lord Byng, gouverneur général du Canada, et son épouse font escale à New Carlisle. De gauche à droite, les cavaliers capitaine F. J. LeGresley, Ev. Hall, Claud Hall et Harry Kempffer.

———————————————————————————

Saint Andrew's Anglican Church

The majority of the Loyalists who came to New Carlisle in 1784 were of the Anglican faith. It is believed that their first chapel was a log cabin on the commons at the bottom of Church Street. Missionaries were sent by the Church of England and, in 1801, the first Anglican minister was appointed to New Carlisle. Members of other denominations attended this church.

Around 1820, the Anglican faith was officially recognized and the

Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
4. Histoire-Tradition-Patriotisme / Historical-Traditional-Patriotic Marker
first registers were kept. It was at this point that consideration was given to building a church on Main Street.

It took from 1824 to 1826 to build this new church, but the consecration was not held until July 31, 1856, at which date the debt was paid off. This building was demolished in 1894 as a new church had been built on the same lot directly south of the location of the previous building. Its architecture was inspired by the perpendicular English style, particularly the windows. The church faces west and the square central tower corners are decorated by arrows. Consecration of this new church was held in 1897.

In the cemetery there are tombstones of several notable people: William Sheppard and his son Martin who were sheriffs for nearly a century; Colonel Isaac Mann, court judge; W. R. LeBoutillier Fauvel and John Robinson Hamilton, both members of parliament; Charles R. Scoles, Superintendent of the Quebec Oriental Railway, and the Reverend George Milne.

[Photo captions read]
• 1826 - 1894

To the left, the first church and, to the right, construction of the present church, consecrated in 1894.

Jacob Mountain 1793 - 1825
First bishop for the Québec Diocese. His son, the Reverend George Jehoshaphat Mountain consecrated the first church in 1856.

• Reverend Geroge [sic - George] Milne

Historical-Traditional-Patriotic

The

L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 17, 2018
5. L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church
English communities of Quebec have always had a special attachment to, and respect for their history and heritage. New Carlisle's efforts in 1923 are a good example.

[Photo captions, clockwise from top center, read]

• To welcome Lord and Lady Byng, citizens built two temporary arches. Covered with pine branches, this one was erected on Main Street near the Anglican Church.

• Looking North from the High School.
People gathered in the Protestant school yard to hear the Governor-General. To the right of the photo is part of the old school which had been relocated. To the left, is the school residence, under construction in 1923.

• The second arch was erected in front of the courthouse and jail or today, in front of the Municipal Park.

• September 1923 during the visit of the Governor-General Lord Byng and Lady Byng. Riders left to right: Captain F. J. LeGresley and the late Ev. Hall, Claud Hall and Harry Kempffer.
 
Location. 48° 0.539′ N, 65° 20.212′ W. Marker is in New Carlisle, Quebec, in Bonaventure MRC. Marker is at the intersection of boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque (Quebec Route 132) and rue de l'Église, on the right when traveling west on boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 boulevard Gérard-D.-Levesque, New Carlisle, Quebec G0C 1Z0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. L'education - New Carlisle High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Maison Tremblay House / L'eglise Unie Zion United Church (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Loyalist / Les Loyalistes (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); La naissance de New Carlisle / Parc municipal (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); War Memorial (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Légion Royale Canadienne / Palais de Justice (approx. 0.7 kilometers away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Saint Andrew's Anglican Church, New Carlisle QC. (Submitted on March 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. New Carlisle History. (Submitted on March 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. New Carlisle Heritage Walking Tour. (Submitted on March 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
4. New Carlisle Heritage Walking Tour Map. (Submitted on March 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionPolitics

 
More. Search the internet for L'Eglise anglicane Saint Andrew's Anglican Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 17, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.