Altamont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Johnís Lutheran Church
Altamont, New York
óThe Museum in the Streets ó
St. Johnís Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely furnished, cost a little more than $10,000. As the only church in Knowersville in 1872, all denominations were welcomed to worship together. It would be sixteen years before the Reformed and the Catholic churches would be built. In 1881, St. Johnís and itís sister church, St. Mark's in Guilderland Center separated from the parent church, St. James, into independent congregations. St. James church, organized in 1787, had been the first Lutheran Church in the area, located approximately two miles east of Altamont, near Fairview Cemetery.
Erected by Hudson River Valley Greenway. (Marker Number 16.)
Location. 42° 42.202′ N, 74° 2.016′ W. Marker is in Altamont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Altamont NY 12009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Avenue School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carriage Works (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Enterprise Building (about 400 feet away); Fire Department/Village Hall (about 400 feet away); Beebe Harness Shop (about 400 feet away); Altamont (about 700 feet away); Home Front Cafe (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Altamont.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.