Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plano in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Christian Church of Plano

 
 
First Christian Church of Plano Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, March 8, 2014
1. First Christian Church of Plano Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  Kentucky natives William and Ruth Forman moved to Texas in 1846, and acquired land that included the future location of Plano. The Formans' daughter Letitia married George Barnett in 1853. The Barnetts bought land northwest of Plano along Spring Creek.

The First Christian Church was established in the mid-1850s on the Barnett farm. A small frame building served as both a school and church, with traveling ministers serving the church. In 1873, another church building was erected on the corner of East 16th Street and Avenue G in Plano. The structure consisted of one large room with a center aisle, coal oil lamps, and a single table serving as both a pulpit and communion table.

During the fifty-year period from 1899-1949 called the "Golden Age" by the members, the church experienced significant growth and a larger structure was built at East 15th Street on the corner of Avenue H. In later years another sanctuary was needed to accommodate continued growth.

An active part of the community since its beginnings, the congregation maintains an outreach program and administers scholarships that benefit the citizens of the area
First Christian Church of Plano and Marker image. Click for full size.
By QuesterMark, March 8, 2014
2. First Christian Church of Plano and Marker
The back of the marker is visible to the left in this photo (the marker faces the driveway).
and beyond.
 
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1715.)
 
Location. 33° 1.193′ N, 96° 42.187′ W. Marker is in Plano, Texas, in Collin County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East 15th Street and H Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 813 E 15th St, Plano TX 75074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texas Electric Railway Station (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blewett Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Richardson (approx. 4.2 miles away); McKamy Spring (approx. 5.7 miles away); Allen Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Stone Dam at Allen Station (approx. 7.1 miles away); Frankford (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mount Calvary Cemetery (approx. 7.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker faces the church building, on the opposite side of the driveway.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers
 
More. Search the internet for First Christian Church of Plano.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 27, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.