Saratoga Springs in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Saratoga’s First Resort for Travelers
Called by the Mohawk Indians the Medicine Spring now known as the High Rock Spring.
The first whiteman to visit this spring was Sir William Johnson in 1767.
Gen. George Washington, Gov. George Clinton and Alexander Hamilton visited Gen. Phillip Schuyler here in 1783.
In 1824 Joseph Bonaparte visited here.
Erected 1905 by Bemis Heights Society, Children of the American Revolution.
Location. 43° 5.212′ N, 73° 46.794′ W. Marker is in Saratoga Springs, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on High Rock Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saratoga Springs NY 12866, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Creation of the Park (a few steps from this marker); High Rock in the 1800’s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Story Starts Here (within shouting distance of this marker); Highrock Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Bryan Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct Standard Time (approx. 0.4 miles away); New York State County Highway Superintendents Association (approx. half a mile away); Franklin Square (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saratoga Springs.
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 29 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.