Lansing in Ingham County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
North Presbyterian Church
On October 19, 1863, fourteen members of Lansing’s First Presbyterian Church signed the Articles of Association creating the Franklin Street Church Society. The society acquired a lot for a church from James Turner, a merchant and leading Methodist, with the proviso that the Presbyterians would supply Lower Town (now North Lansing) with gospel preaching. The first Franklin Street Presbyterian Church was dedicated on this site on October 3, 1865.
Built in 1915-16 on the site of the congregation’s first church, the Franklin Avenue Presbyterian Church was constructed to accommodate North Lansing’s growing population. Edwyn Bowd, Lansing’s leading architect of public buildings in the early twentieth century, designed the church and manse. The extensive Arts and Crafts detailing is unusual among Michigan churches of this period. The congregation changed its name when Franklin Avenue became Grand River Avenue in 1934.
Erected 1988 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1353.)
Marker series. Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 42° 44.86′ N, 84° 33.148′ W. Marker was in Lansing, Michigan, in Ingham County. Marker was at the intersection of W. Grand River Avenue and N. Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling west on W. Grand River Avenue. Touch for map. NW Corner W. Grand River Ave. and N. Washington Ave. Marker was at or near this postal address: 108 W. Grand River Avenue, Lansing MI 48906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. North Lansing Brenke Fish Ladder (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Education Association / Michigan Association of Counties (approx. 0.2 miles away); Turner-Dodge House (approx. ¼ mile away); Durant Park / Arch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michigan School for the Blind / Administration Building (approx. half a mile away); Rogers-Carrier House (approx. 0.6 miles away); John T. Herrmann House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lansing Community College (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
More about this marker. In the lawn in front of the building.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 2, 2019, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2017. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.