Yorktown in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
De Witt County
from Gonzales, Victoria
and Goliad counties;
Organized July 13, 1846,
with Cuero as the county seat
Named in honor of
Green De Witt
A Texas Empresario
Born in Kentucky September 16, 1797
Died in Mexico, May 18, 1835
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 1189.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 28° 58.958′ N, 97° 29.693′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 72 and North Louis Avenue, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 72. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown TX 78164, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shiloh (approx. 3.2 miles away); Weser (approx. 11.1 miles away); Hopkinsville Community (approx. 11.3 miles away); Clinton The Edward Mügge House (approx. 14.4 miles away); Proctor-Green House (approx. 14½ miles away); Heaton-Breeden House (approx. 14½ miles away); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (approx. 14½ miles away).
Also see . . . DeWitt County - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 53 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.