Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Texas Bandstands

 
 
Early Texas Bandstands Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. Early Texas Bandstands Marker
Inscription.  This bandstand, successor to earlier ones in Cuero, is a replica of the first one erected in this park - used for concerts, patriotic meetings, bazaars, ice cream socials, political rallies, street dances.

Cuero musicians won renown as official band for the internationally famed "Turkey Trot," founded 1912 and opened that year with a parade led by Governor Oscar B. Colquitt. The Trot, a showing of Thanksgiving birds prior to shipment, used music on its programs.

Before Anglo-American colonization, Spanish troops at various presidios had marching bands. But on the frontier, most music was for dancing, and was played on violins, guitars, or some improvised instrument such as a plow point. Settlers loved their "tunes." When the Texan Army went into battle at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836, it moved to the music of "Will You Come to the Bower?" - played on a drum and fife.

In the 1840s when instruments arrived with the household goods of hundreds of European settlers, excellent bands were organized, and bandstands were erected for their performances. More than 200 local bands originated in Texas in the 19th Century.

At
Early Texas Bandstands Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. Early Texas Bandstands Marker
Early Texas Bandstands marker is on the right. Cuero Land and Immigration Company marker is on the left.
dedication of the new State Capitol in Austin, 1888, many city bands played for the celebration.
 
Erected 1967 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1356.)
 
Location. 29° 5.359′ N, 97° 17.376′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 East Main Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cuero Land and Immigration Company (here, next to this marker); Brayton Flying Field (a few steps from this marker); St. Michael's Catholic Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Cuero (about 800 feet away); De Witt County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Norman Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away); General August C. Buchel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEntertainment
 

More. Search the internet for Early Texas Bandstands.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement