Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church of Cuero

 
 
First Presbyterian Church of Cuero Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. First Presbyterian Church of Cuero Marker
Inscription.  On July 8, 1849, a group of settlers gathered together under a live oak tree at the home of Dr. Robert and Mary C. Trigg Peebles to form the Live Oak Presbyterian Church, the first Presbyterian congregation in DeWitt County. Led by the Rev. William Cochran Blair, the church's charter members included Elizabeth Smith Barnhill, Miles Squier Bennet, Bathsheba Gibson Bennet, Mary C. Trigg Peebles, James Norman Smith, and Elizabeth H. Morehead Smith. In 1851 the church was relocated to Clinton (3 mi. S), the DeWitt county seat.

In 1855 the county's second Presbyterian church was organized in Concrete (11 mi. N), and in 1878 a third congregation began in the new county seat of Cuero. By 1883 the three churches had merged into one congregation located in Cuero. Eventually, congregations from Indianola and Thomaston also joined the Cuero church.

A number of structures have housed the church over the years, and the members have maintained an active involvement in community affairs. The street in front of the church was renamed in honor of the Rev. Dr. William Angus McLeod, who served as minister here from 1919 until his death in
First Presbyterian Church of Cuero image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. First Presbyterian Church of Cuero
Marker is the rightmost of the two markers visible in this photo. The marker on the left of the photo is "James Norman Smith" marker.
1947.
 
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1834.)
 
Location. 29° 5.483′ N, 97° 17.235′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on North McLeod Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 North McLeod Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Norman Smith (a few steps from this marker); First United Methodist Church of Cuero (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Michael's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (about 500 feet away); De Witt County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); General August C. Buchel (about 600 feet away); Brayton Flying Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cuero Land and Immigration Company (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for First Presbyterian Church of Cuero.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 57 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement