Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Michael's Catholic Church

 
 
St. Michael's Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. St. Michael's Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.  The Rt. Rev. Anthony Dominic Pellicer, first Bishop of San Antonio, established St. Michael's Parish in 1875, after the Cuero Land and Immigration Co. donated this site for a church. The name was chosen in memory of Michael O'Brien, whose widow was one of the first members. A small frame church was erected in 1876, and the Rev. V. L. Manci, S.J., became the first resident pastor. St. Michael's Parish has operated a Catholic school since 1877.

Construction was started on a larger building in 1886, a few months before the first church was damaged by the hurricane that destroyed the coastal town of Indianola. Many of the families who fled Indianola became members of St. Michael's Parish before the brick edifice was completed in 1892.

As the parish grew, a new rectory was built in 1894 and new school in 1912. The present church was erected in 1931, through efforts of the Rev. Francis Pallanche, Pastor 1922-32. Soon afterward, the Rev. William Jansen began the longest pastorate in this church's history, 1937-66. Recent expansion has included a new school and convent (1955), rectory (1963), remodeling of school and church building
St. Michael's Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
2. St. Michael's Catholic Church
(1960s), and new parish hall (1973). Today St. Michael's has a membership of over 400 families.
 
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5066.)
 
Location. 29° 5.418′ N, 97° 17.271′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North McLeod Street and East Church Street, on the right when traveling south on North McLeod Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 East Church Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Cuero (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Norman Smith (about 400 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Cuero (about 400 feet away); Brayton Flying Field (about 600 feet away); Cuero Land and Immigration Company (about 700 feet away); Early Texas Bandstands (about 700 feet away); De Witt County Courthouse (about 700 feet away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for St. Michael's Catholic Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 60 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement