Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Edward Mügge House
Built in 1870s by a key man in the activities and ideology that gave the town of Cuero its economic leadership role in late 19th century South Texas.
Edward Mügge (1839-97), a native of Germany, arrived in the now-extinct seaport of Indianola (80 mi. SE) on Aug. 20, 1854. Seizing opportunities to rise through hard work and resourcefulness, he attained in two decades the eminence of partnership in the pioneer banking firm of H. Runge and Company. In his diverse enterprises he offered many other young men - particularly those of similar Teutonic - American heritage - chances to invest work and skill in development of this area.
Beginning this house as a typical comfortable home of the region, he originally built seven rooms - three of these milled in Saint Louis and assembled here. Over ensuing years he made additions as surprise gifts to his wife (nee Pauline Blumenthal) and six children: Edward, Lilly, Anna, Henry, Oscar, and Fred. The house grew to 15 rooms, five halls, three porches. On grounds were a summerhouse, greenhouse, bath house, wash house, smokehouse, huge cistern (still existent), and stables
Erected 1971 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5327.)
Location. 29° 5.552′ N, 97° 17.55′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Terrell Street and West Courthouse Street, on the right when traveling south on Terrell Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 Terrell Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Proctor-Green House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heaton-Breeden House (about 400 feet away); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (about 500 feet away); St. Mark's Lutheran Church (about 700 feet away); Grace Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); General August C. Buchel (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Witt County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.