Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Charles A. Schlinke

(1863-1940)

 
 
Charles A. Schlinke Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, April 5, 2019
1. Charles A. Schlinke Marker
Inscription.  Community leader and businessman Charles A. Schlinke played a vital role in the development of DeWitt County. Born in Posen, Germany, Schlinke immigrated to the United States with family in 1869, following his father, who settled in Weesatche (Goliad Co.). In 1885, Charles Schlinke purchased property from his father and married Martha Kleiman, who was also born in Germany before immigrating to Texas. The couple had eleven children.

Soon after marrying, Schlinke purchased 3,948 acres in DeWitt County, and in 1893 he became a United States citizen. He raised horses, mules and donkeys for sale as working livestock and for riding. A believer in the value of education, Schlinke donated two acres of land to county school trustees for school use after the previous building burned down. Residents built Valley View school on the donated property. Schlinke was also a founding member of the Lindenau Scheutzen Verein (Lindenau Shooting Club), established in 1901. The organization, which still exists, sponsored shooting competitions with other nearby clubs and provided fellowship through feasts and dances.

Schlinke was often called
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
upon as an advocate for his community. In one instance, he was the spokesman for landowners protesting the building of a road; to resolve the issue, Schlinke donated his own land for the road. He also donated property for this park in memory of his wife, who passed away in 1931. In 1940, Charles A. Schlinke died from illness and today is remembered as a man who was devoted to his family, community, church and business.
 
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14544.)
 
Location. 29° 3.674′ N, 97° 23.147′ W. Marker is near Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is on State Highway 72 2.4 miles west of U.S. 87, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in a roadside park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clinton (approx. 3½ miles away); Hopkinsville Community (approx. 4.7 miles away); Shiloh (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Edward Mügge House (approx. 6 miles away); Proctor-Green House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Heaton-Breeden House (approx. 6.1 miles away); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (approx. 6.1 miles away); Early Texas Bandstands (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Notable Persons
 

More. Search the internet for Charles A. Schlinke.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 106 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on April 24, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement