Justin in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Located in the rich, fertile, softly rolling prairie land of North Central Texas, Justin is situated at the confluence of the Denton, Oliver and Trail Creeks. For many years Native American tribes flourished in the area. In 1841, John B. Denton was killed near Fort Worth in the Village Creek battle and was buried in an unmarked grave at the juncture of Denton and Oliver Creeks. Twenty years later his remains were moved to Bolivar and in 1901 he was reinterred on the grounds of the county courthouse. That same creek juncture was the site of an 1848 Icarian settlement of French socialist immigrants who were allocated thousands of acres by the Peters Colony. Because of strife with Peters and harsh conditions, the settlement was abandoned within two years. In the mid-1800s, as settlers came to the area from Missouri and other states, the Texas Rangers posted at Hickory Station were able to provide some protection for the settlers to establish the land for ranching and farming. Wheat, corn and cotton grew easily in the rich soil of the agricultural area.
By QuesterMark, May 27, 2018
1. Justin Texas Historical Marker
Justin was an important stop of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway. One of the men responsible
for the railroad coming through Justin was Walter Justin (W.J.) Sherman, chief construction engineer, for whom the town was eventually named. Businesses soon opened up and thrived in this small town, which by 1914 had four elevators, two cotton gins, a flour mill and over twenty other businesses. The Justin State Bank remains a locally owned, managed and operated financial institution since its doors opened in 1904. The City of Justin incorporated in 1946 and has continued to grow, offering a historical perspective and modern quality of life to new generations of settlers. (2014)
By QuesterMark, May 27, 2018
2. Justin Marker in Bishop Park
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17845.)
Location. 33° 4.59′ N, 97° 17.781′ W. Marker is in Justin, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 156, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in Bishop Park. Marker is in this post office area: Justin TX 76247, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Westlake and the Circle T Ranch (approx. 8.9 miles away); Cattle Trail Crossing (approx. 13 miles away); Denton County War Memorial (approx. 13.4 miles away); Our Confederate Soldiers (approx. 13.4 miles away); The City of Denton (approx. 13˝ miles away); John B. Denton (approx. 13˝ miles away); Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County (approx. 13˝ miles away); Denton County (approx. 13˝ miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Justin.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 81 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2019, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.