Oklahoma City in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Temple B'Nai Israel
(Children of Israel)
— First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Oklahoma —
Jews have lived in Oklahoma since the mid 19th century. In 1903, Jews in Oklahoma City organized Temple B'Nai Israel. During its first few years, the congregation met at several local churches. The synagogue, located at 50 Broadway Circle, was dedicated on January 17, 1908. Temple B'Nai Israel remained in this building until 1955, when they moved to a new synagogue on North Pennsylvania Avenue. Temple B'Nai Israel affirmed the American principals of religion and assembly in Oklahoma.
Erected by Institute of Southern Jewish Life, Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, Temple B'Nai Israel.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation Markers marker series.
Location. 35° 31.217′ N, 97° 32.886′ W. Marker is in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in Oklahoma County. Marker is on North Pennsylvania Avenue. Marker located adjacent to present Temple B'Nai Israel in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4901 N Pennsylvania Avenue, Oklahoma City OK 73112, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Washington Elm Tree (approx. 3.2 miles away); American Elm (approx. 3.2 miles away); Tribute to Range Riders (approx. 3.2 miles away); Flags Flown Over Oklahoma (approx. 3.2 miles away); Oklahoma Timeline (approx. 3.2 miles away); As Long As The Waters Flow (approx. 3.2 miles away); Oklahoma State Seal (approx. 3.2 miles away); Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oklahoma City.
More about this marker. Marker funded by the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation
Additional keywords. The first synagogue in Oklahoma.
Categories. • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Temple B'Nai Israel.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 21, 2019, by Jerry Klinger of Boynton Beach, Florida. 2. submitted on May 28, 2019. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker installed and a wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?