Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clearwater in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

South Ward School Site

 
 
South Ward School Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2019
1. South Ward School Site Marker
Inscription.  In 1873, the first school under public administration in present-day Pinellas County was established in a log structure originally built for the Midway Baptist Church in the area of what is now the Clearwater Municipal Cemetery. In 1884, the school relocated to a one-room, wood-framed structure built on this site. Named the Clear Water School, the building expanded in 1888, and had 90 students in attendance by 1902. A larger, two-story masonry schoolhouse was constructed in 1906 and the wooden structure was demolished. The school expanded again in 1912 with the construction of the first Clearwater High School on this site. The high school’s principal, Dixie M. Hollins, became Pinellas County’s first school superintendent later that year. In 1915, the campus was renamed the South Ward School. Beginning in 1951, the final school building on this site, which included a kindergarten classroom, was built behind the high school. The South Ward School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Though it ceased operations in 2008, the school remains an important part of Pinellas County’s cultural heritage.
 
Erected
South Ward School image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2019
2. South Ward School
2017 by Pinellas County Historic Preservation Board and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-964.)
 
Location. 27° 57.524′ N, 82° 48.005′ W. Marker is in Clearwater, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on South Fort Harrison Avenue just south of Turner Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located at the former school site thais now the Pinellas County Historical Society Museum and Cultural Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 South Fort Harrison Avenue, Clearwater FL 33756, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harbor Oaks Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Pinellas County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Magnolia Drive Dock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clearwater Post Office (approx. half a mile away); The Seminole Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); Clearwater Athletic Field (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Public School (approx. 2½ miles away); The Dunedin LVT, Landing Vehicle Tracked (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clearwater.
 
Regarding South Ward School Site. Photos taken at marker dedication and grand opening of the museum.
 
Categories. Education
 
South Ward School Site Marker and school image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2019
3. South Ward School Site Marker and school
South Ward School Museum image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2019
4. South Ward School Museum
South Ward School Museum image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2019
5. South Ward School Museum
South Ward School Museum image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, June 15, 2019
6. South Ward School Museum
 

More. Search the internet for South Ward School Site.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 15, 2019, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement