Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Baptist Church

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 9, 2008
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. First Baptist Church, Savannah’s oldest standing house of worship, was designed by Elias Carter and completed in 1833. The congregation dates to 1800. In 1922 the front of the building was extended, and cupola removed, and the edifice covered with limestone. Under the leadership of Sylvanus Landrum, First Baptist Church was one of the few southern churches to remain open throughout the Civil War. Notable pastors include W.L. Pickard, later president of Mercer University; Norman Cox, executive secretary of the Historical Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention; and Arthur Jackson, executive secretary of the Georgia Baptist Foundation.
 
Erected 2002 by Georgia Historical Society and First Baptist Church. (Marker Number 25-11.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 4.561′ N, 81° 5.621′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull St. near W. McDonough St., on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at Chippewa Square, Savannah. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. First Baptist Church
223 Bull Street
Chartered on November 26, 1800
Savannah's oldest house of
worship was erected in 1830-1833.
Worship Hour- Eleven O'clock
Clergy
John M. Finley, Senior Minister
James C. Richardson, Associate Minister
Carolyn Hale Cubbedge, Assistant Minister
(a few steps from this marker); Original Presbyterian Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); Independent Presbyterian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lowell Mason 1792- 1872 (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Independent Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Savannah Theatre (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Also see . . .  First Baptist Church History. (Submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, November 9, 2008
3. First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Historic American Buildings Survey
4. First Baptist Church
Historic American Engineering Record HABS GA,26-SAV,69-2
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,039 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on August 25, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement