Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wesley Chapel Trinity / John Wesley's American Parish
In 1812 The Methodist Church in Savannah was formally established with the founding of Wesley Chapel at Lincoln & Oglethorpe Streets. Bishop Francis Asbury dedicated that building in 1813. In 1848 the congregation built a new church on Telfair Square. Since the Methodist Centennial of 1884, Trinity has been recognized as "The Mother Church of Savannah Methodism." In 1995, the General Commission on Archives and History expanded the National Historic Landmark to include Wesley Chapel/Trinity, thereby celebrating the permanent return of the Wesleyan Spirit to "John Wesley's American Parish."
JOHN WESLEY'S AMERICAN PARISH
John Wesley, an Anglican minister, served as the religious leader of the Georgia colony from February 6, 1736 to December 2, 1737. His inclusive ministry sought to embrace both Native Americans and colonists. In 1976, The United Methodist Church declared this, the site of their founder's American ministry, a National Historic Landmark encompassing
1. His new world landing site at Cockspur Island on U.S. 80 E.
2. The site of his first sermon at Bull St. and Bay Lane.
3. The Wesley monument on Reynolds Square.
4. Site of his parsonage and garden at Congress and Abercorn.
5. Site of Wesley's first permanent worship place at York & Whitaker.
Erected 1999 by The Commission on Archives and History,The United Methodist Church.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
Location. 32° 4.72′ N, 81° 5.683′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Barnard Street near West State Street. Touch for map. Located on Reynold's Square. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Telfair Family Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Telfair Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); John Wesley (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tondee's Tavern (about 500 feet away); Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. John Wesley
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,590 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on March 10, 2013, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on November 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on February 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.