Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trout Creek in Newton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church

 
 
Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
July 4, 2019
1. Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  
Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Local oral tradition holds that the Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1876. An early church building had that year inscribed on it, and the congregation celebrated its centennial in 1976. The earliest church files date to 1899, with no record of the organization date or charter members. The congregation worshiped for several years in a community building, used as a school, community center and worship place for area Baptists, Congregational Methodists and Pentecostals. The Baptist congregation later bought the building and site, and constructed a new sanctuary in 1956.
In 1958, the church held its first full-time services with its first full-time pastor. Until that time, early church pastors had been missionaries with the Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Association and Missionary Baptist Association of Texas, or part-time preachers employed by the congregation. During its first several decades, the church was served by several preachers and lay leaders. One important figure was elder Johnny Bean (d. 1957), a deacon and licensed minister. "Uncle Johnny" led Sunday School classes and
Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
July 4, 2019
2. Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Marker
held singing classes for the children, acting as Sunday School superintendent, teacher, song director. He also served as treasurer and assisted with baptisms, which took place in the spring-fed waters of nearby Trout Creek until a baptistery was built in the late 1960s.
The Trout Creek congregation has shown dedication to missionary work. The Ladies Auxiliary group has ministered to those in need of food, care and aid, and youth programs have included Bible studies, camps, field trips and service activities. The church today donates heavily to the service programs of its affiliate associations and continues to grow in membership and in strength. (2003)
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12962.)
 
Location. 30° 36.936′ N, 93° 48.816′ W. Marker is in Trout Creek, Texas, in Newton County. Marker is on County Road 1004 0.2 miles west of State Highway 87, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1509 FM 1004, Call TX 75933, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trout Creek Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Call Church of God in Christ (approx. 2 miles away); Swift Cemetery (approx. 3.1 miles away); Call (was approx. 3.8 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Town of Kirbyville (approx. 5 miles away); Site of the First Kirbyville Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bon Wier (approx. 13.1 miles away); Inman Cemetery (approx. 13.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trout Creek.
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 

More. Search the internet for Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 14, 2019.
Paid Advertisement