Town of Kirbyville
Site of Town Lot Auction, May 1, 1895 for Town of Kirbyville
Named for John Henry Kirby, attorney, railroad builder, and timber, lumber, and oil king.
With R. P. Allen, Kirby founded the town when their railroad-- Gulf, Beaumont, & Kansas City-- reached this point. Since 1904 city has also been terminus of the Jasper & Eastern Railroad.
A major business, Kirby Lumber Co. Sawmill (acquired in 1903), burned in 1917. City has been an area of timber conservation work since 1926; State Forest No. 1 is located 3 miles east.
Today city is a trade center for Jasper and Newton counties and has electric power concerns.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 10456.)
Location. 30° 39.631′ N, 93° 53.435′ W. Marker is in Kirbyville, Texas, in Jasper County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and South Kaysee Avenue, on the right on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kirbyville TX 75956, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Kirbyville Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Town of Kirbyville.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2019.