Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Market Square was a meeting place for new immigrants and longtime neighborhood residents seeking both food and community. By 1901, the Pearl Street Market was inadequate to serve Clevelandís rapidly growing population. Mayor Tom L. Johnson appointed a commission to acquire land and develop a plan for a new public market. The old market was torn down in 1915, three years after the completion of the West Side Market across the street. The park honors the districtís long history as a destination for food shoppers.
Erected 2012 by Ohio City Incorporated/West Side Market Centennial Fund and The Ohio Historical
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 29.066′ N, 81° 42.229′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is at the intersection of West 25th Street (U.S. 42) and Lorain Avenue, on the right when traveling south on West 25th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1996 W 25th St, Cleveland OH 44113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John W. Heisman Birth Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Ignatius High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ohio City / Monroe Street Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Welcome to Monroe Street Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); LGBT Civil Rights Movement (approx. half a mile away); Irish Famine Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alexis de Tocqueville (approx. ĺ mile away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Market Square.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 82 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 20, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.