Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scotts Valley in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Scott House

 
 
The Scott House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Frank Gunshow Sanchez, August 3, 2019
1. The Scott House Marker
Inscription.  Hiram Daniel Scott built the Scott House in 1853 for his father Daniel Scott, stepmother Nancy Parcher Scott and their extended family. The Scotts came from Maine and owned interests in shipbuilding, West Indies trading and lumber mills. Hiram had come West on a ship in 1847 and started a new life in Santa Cruz. Starting with a sizable strike in the Gold Rush and then through several other business Scott was able to purchase the 4,437-acre Rancho Saint Augustine, and he signed his deed on Sept. 9th 1850, the same date that California became a state. The Rancho encompassed much of present day Scotts Valley.

The house is one of the oldest wood structures Still standing in Santa Cruz County. Built out of locally milled redwood in the Greek revival style, with doors and windows shipped around the horn. Scott used mortise and tenon construction techniques, much like the ships built by his family in Maine. It originally stood at Scotts Valley drive but was moved up the hill in 1936 to accommodate the new Los Gatos Highway. The one and half story home has a kitchen, dining room, parlor, two bedrooms and a large unfinished attic area. In 1977 the

Hiram D Scott image. Click for full size.
By Jim Cirner
2. Hiram D Scott
Scott House was restored thanks to collaborate efforts of Arch McDonald and Steve Dorsa who donated the old house and the land, the Scotts Valley Historical Society, the city of Scotts Valley and other Community groups.

Dedicated August 3rd, 2019
El Viceroy Marques De Branciforte Ch. 1797, E Clampus Vitus, Scotts Valley Historic Society
 
Erected 2019 by E Clampus Vitus El Viceroy Marques de Branciforte Ch. 1797, Scotts Valley Historic Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 2.951′ N, 122° 1.104′ W. Marker is in Scotts Valley, California, in Santa Cruz County. Marker is on Civic Center Drive, on the right when traveling west. This marker is in front of the Scott House on MacDorsa Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Scotts Valley CA 95066, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Scott House (a few steps from this marker); Felton Covered Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); The Cremer House (approx. 3 miles away); The Branciforte Adobe (approx. 4.1 miles away); Salz Tannery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Historic Lime Kilns

The Scott House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Cirner
3. The Scott House and Marker
(approx. 4.3 miles away); Glenwood (approx. 4.4 miles away); Charles Martin Winery (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scotts Valley.
 
Also see . . .  Scott House Dedication (Santa Cruz Sentinel, June 22, 1981; via Santa Cruz Public Library). (Submitted on August 9, 2019.)
 
Categories. ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers
 

More. Search the internet for The Scott House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 155 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement