Using the walls, owners Ralph Jones and Peter Longhurst rebuilt after the 1879 fire. After the 1899 fire, owner Thomas B. McCarthy, again using the original walls, rebuilt the building in use today.
In the 19th century this structure was utilized for a variety of purposes, including a laundry, a general store, barbershop, and cigar store. In 1937 the current building was home to the original Johnny Haigh Saloon and in 2011 it was reopened as the "Old Johnny Haigh Saloon."
After over 150 years the historic walls remain standing.
Dedicated by Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus March 31, 2012 (6017)
Credo Quia Absurdum
Erected 2012 by E Clampus Vitus Matuca Chapter 1849.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 42.675′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jeffery Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mint (within shouting distance of this marker); Coulterville (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Coulterville (within shouting distance of this marker); Whistling Billy (within shouting distance of this marker); Coulterville Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sun Sun Wo Co. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Haigh Ranch (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coulterville.
Categories. • Architecture • Disasters • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Historic Walls.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 21, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 65 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 12, 2019, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.