Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gambier in Knox County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Edward Bates Memorial

 
 
Edward Bates Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 16, 2008
1. Edward Bates Memorial Marker
Inscription.
This glacial boulder
from the Bates Homestead
in Columbus, Ohio
was given to Kenyon College in 1953 by
Fanny Platt Bates Little
in memory of her brother
Edward Bates
son of Judge James Lawrence Bates
and grandson of the honorable Alfred Kelley
a student at Kenyon
1859 until his death here in 1860
age 18.

 
Erected 1953 by Fanny Platt Bates Little.
 
Location. 40° 22.367′ N, 82° 23.764′ W. Marker is in Gambier, Ohio, in Knox County. Marker is on College Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in natural area between Ascension Hall and Shaffer Speech Building. Marker is in this post office area: Gambier OH 43022, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Kenyon Cornerstone (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonel Lorin Andrews (about 800 feet away); George Wharton Marriott (approx. 0.2 miles away); David Bates Douglass (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kenyon College (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Crowe Ransom & The Kenyon Review
Edward Bates Memorial image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 16, 2008
2. Edward Bates Memorial
Looking southeast toward Shaffer Speech Building in background.
(approx. mile away); Gambier (approx. 0.3 miles away); 0-6-0 Steam Locomotive (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gambier.
 
Categories. Natural FeaturesNotable Persons
 
Ascension Hall Roof Angles image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 16, 2008
3. Ascension Hall Roof Angles
View from near Bates Memorial.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 991 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 26, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement