Bowling Green in Warren County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Training School-College High
The model training school opened September 17, 1906, on College Street. It offered 4 grades for Western teacher training. In 1911 moved to future site of Cherry Hall. Grades 5-8 added by 1913. Ties to city schools severed & 9th grade added, 1920. Moved to this site, 1925. Graduated 10 in 1st 4-yr. high school class, 1926.
Renamed University High in 1966, the school remained open until May 27, 1970. Directors were Sarah Scott, Laura Frazee, Mattie Hatcher, Leon Stephan, W.L. Matthews, C.H. Jaggers, Dero Downing, and James Carpenter. The school offered generations unique academic & extracurricular opportunities. Presented by the College High Alumni.
Erected 2005 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2182.)
Location. 36° 59.225′ N, 86° 27.009′ W. Marker is in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in Warren County. Marker is on College Heights Blvd, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bowling Green KY 42101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Odgen College (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Hardin Cherry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Albert Sidney Johnston (about 500 feet away); Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. History (about 700 feet away); Eliza Calvert Hall, 1856-1935 (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.L. "Gander" Terry Colonnade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potter College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Felts Log House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bowling Green.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for Training School-College High.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.