Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Arlington Grammar School No. 46

 
 
Arlington Grammar School 46 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
1. Arlington Grammar School 46 Marker
Inscription.  
Arlington Grammar School was built in 1921 to serve the children of white families living in an area of approximately 48 square miles stretching from the St. Johns River on the west eastward to what is today St. Johns Bluff Road and from the St. Johns River on the north southward to the Hogan–Spring Glen area along Beach Boulevard. The school cost approximately $40,000 to build, and was paid partly by the Duval County Board of Public Instruction and partly by a special tax bond issued through the efforts of the Arlington Community Club.

By 1924 the new school had over 300 students and 7 teachers teaching grades one through eight. The first principal was Mr. Lewis Townsend. The first custodian was Mr. "Henry" Roger Highsmith.

After graduation from eighth grade the students rode by boat across the St. Johns River to attend Duval High School on Ocean Street in downtown Jacksonville. In 1927 Landon High School opened in the San Marco area of South Jacksonville, and the white students of Arlington completed their undergraduate education there.

Black students in Arlington attended separate elementary schools
Arlington Grammar School 46 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
2. Arlington Grammar School 46 Marker
located on Lone Star Road and Ft. Caroline Road, and attended Old Station High School on Ashley Street in downtown Jacksonville. Desegregation in the 1960s opened schools to all students, white and black. Terry Parker High School opened in 1955 and now serves as the high school for the Arlington community.

Throughout the years additions have been built for classroom and cafeteria space, but the original Arlington Grammar School building remains structurally the same Oak trees carefully planted and watered by the first students at the school still offer shade for students today.

Arlington Grammar School is the oldest remaining building in the Arlington area.
 
Erected 2009 by Old Arlington Inc.
 
Location. Marker has been reported unreadable. 30° 19.93′ N, 81° 36.176′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is at the intersection of University Boulevard North and Playa Way, on the right when traveling north on University Boulevard North. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 University Blvd N, Jacksonville FL 32211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Norman Silent Film Studios (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jacksonville And The Movie Industry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Floral Bluff
Arlington Elementary School 80th Birthday Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, August 17, 2019
3. Arlington Elementary School 80th Birthday Plaque
(approx. mile away); Frederick W. Bruce (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Strawberry Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley (approx. 1.3 miles away); Arlington - A Unique Community (approx. 1.3 miles away); Millers Creek (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 

More. Search the internet for Arlington Grammar School No. 46.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2019, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement