Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gilmer in Upshur County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Gilmer

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Gilmer Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
1. First United Methodist Church of Gilmer Marker
Inscription.  First United Methodist Church of Gilmer Gilmer's early settlers came in the mid-18th century. By 1849, records indicate Baptist and Methodist congregations shared space at the county's log courthouse for their services. At that time, the Rev. J.B. Tullis, a Methodist circuit rider, was appointed to the Gilmer mission. He and J.L. Camp, Sr., organized a Sunday School for the early Methodist Episcopal Church, South, congregation, which soon received a charter and was officially founded c. 1852.

In 1854, the congregation organized a men's academy; two years later, they established a women's academy. These two schools, later administered by the local Masonic lodge, continued until they closed in 1862, during the Civil War. Education remained important in the Gilmer Methodist Church, which supported reading and writing in its Sunday School programs for all ages.

The congregation's first two sanctuaries were frame structures. At this site, deeded to the church in 1881, stood the second structure, a white, Gothic revival building. The congregation, with more than 450 members, built a larger brick structure here in 1911. In 1924, church

First United Methodist Church of Gilmer and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
2. First United Methodist Church of Gilmer and Marker
members financed a parsonage, located next to the sanctuary. The church continued to grow, adding an educational building in 1948 and, in 1956, dedicating a new sanctuary. They constructed a new parsonage in 1974 but retained the original home for use by the youth director and youth group.

Organizations within the church have included the youth and choir programs, as well as the Women's Home Missionary Society and the Men's Bible Class. Through its mission and outreach, and with expanded facilities, Gilmer's First United Methodist Church continues to serve its community more than 150 years after its first worship services.
 
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12895.)
 
Location. 32° 43.744′ N, 94° 56.917′ W. Marker is in Gilmer, Texas, in Upshur County. Marker is at the intersection of North Montgomery Street and West Tyler Street, on the right when traveling north on North Montgomery Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Montgomery Street, Gilmer TX 75644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Gilmer (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Croley Funeral Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ragland Clinic-Hospital (approx. mile away); Upshur County, C. S. A. / Emma Sampson Johnson (approx. mile away); C.S.A. Leather Factories (approx. mile away); Cherokee Trace (approx. mile away); Sam Houston Spoke Here (approx. mile away); 1925 Gilmer Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilmer.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionEducation

 

More. Search the internet for First United Methodist Church of Gilmer.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 11, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Paid Advertisement