Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Port Gibson Historical Tour
509 Church. Ca. 1820 Greek Revival. The portico treatment featuring two round columns between two square columns is called distyle-in-antis. This arrangement is modeled after the Tower of the Winds in Athens. The Corinthian columns are carved from solid cypress logs.
Location. 31° 57.638′ N, 90° 58.905′ W. Marker is in Port Gibson, Mississippi, in Claiborne County. Marker is on Church Street (U.S. 61) north of Fair Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 509 Church Street, Port Gibson MS 39150, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gage House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter A.M.E. Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Port Gibson (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); First Baptist M.B. Church (about 400 feet away); Brashear Academy (about 500 feet away); Englesing Home (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gibson.
Categories. Architecture •
More. Search the internet for McDougall House.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 68 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2019.