Burlingame in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Burlingame Train Station
First opened for service October 10, 1894.
Restored June 14, 1986.
Cal Trans - Save our Station Committee - City of Burlingame
100 years of continuous rail service celebrated September 17, 1994.
Burlingame Train Station Centennial Celebration Committee
When opened in 1894, this station stood alone in an open field. It was built for passenger and freight service to accommodate the estates west of the highway (El Camino Real). The convenience of rail service invited the establishment of business and the building of homes. The area around the station became known as Burlingame Square and the development of the town began. This unique station occupies a proud place on the United States Department of Interiors National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1994 by Native Sons of the Golden West and the James Phelan Trust.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 37° 34.801′ N, 122° 20.699′ W. Marker is in Burlingame, California, in San Mateo County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of California Touch for map. Marker is located on the railroad track side of the station, mounted on the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 290 California Dr., Burlingame CA 94010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burlingame Railroad Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Anza Expedition Camp (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pacific City (approx. 1.2 miles away); Higurashi-en (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mission Hospice (approx. 1.4 miles away); Morse’s Corners (approx. 1½ miles away); First Business Structure (approx. 1½ miles away); Historic Camp Site (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlingame.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,332 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 4, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.