Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Athens in Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Hodgson-Dodd Park

 
 
Hodgson-Dodd Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 12, 2008
1. Hodgson-Dodd Park Marker
Inscription.
In their Springdale houses they
shared the joys of music and
the visual arts with friends,
family, students and faculty.
HUGH HODGSON
1893 - 1969
570 SPRINGDALE was designed by architect Ed Wade and built in 1941 by Sam Wright for musician HUGH HODGSON and his wife JESSIE. Here colleagues and visiting celebrities rehearsed the weekly lecture-concert Music Appreciation evenings beloved by town and gown alike. From 1928 to 1960, HODGSON -- pianist, conductor, composer, educator and tennis ace -- chaired the University of Georgia’s division of fine arts. He created glee clubs, a symphony orchestra, and a statewide music symposium. Hodgson performed more than 1200 personal concerts in America and Europe. With neighbor Lamar Dodd, he sought to elevate all Georgians’ esthetic taste and enjoyment of music and art. Journalist Ralph McGill called Hodgson “the Johnny Appleseed of music.”

OPPOSITE SIDE OF MARKER:

LAMAR DODD
1909-1996

590 SPRINGDALE was built in 1941 by Mathis Construction Company for artist LAMAR DODD and his wife, MARY. Here Dodd painted while he created at the University of Georgia “the finest art department in the South.” Considered the premier artist born in Georgia in
Reverse Side of Hodgson-Dodd Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 12, 2008
2. Reverse Side of Hodgson-Dodd Park Marker
the 20th century, Dodd sought the essential truth in nature and in mankind’s relationship to our world. His paintings hang in New York`s Whitney and Metropolitan and Atlanta’s High museums, in the Georgia Museum of Art which he helped to found, in the Lamar Dodd Art Center in his home town of LaGrange, Georgia, and in public and private collections worldwide. With neighbor Hugh Hodgson he shared the goal of making the fine arts a part of every Georgian`s life.
 
Erected 2000 by Athens-Clarke County.
 
Location. 33° 56.634′ N, 83° 23.706′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Clarke County. Marker is at the intersection of West Cloverhurst Avenue and Springdale Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Cloverhurst Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30606, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jeruel Academy/Union Baptist Institute (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lucy Cobb Institute (1858-1931) (approx. 0.9 miles away); Athens High and Industrial School (approx. 1.1 miles away); University of Georgia Botanical Garden (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dr. William Lorenzo Moss Birthplace (approx. 1.1 miles away); America’s First Garden Club (approx. 1.2 miles away); Camak House: (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Taylor-Grady House (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
 
Also see . . .
1. Hugh Hodgson - GeorgiaInfo. (Submitted on December 8, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. Lamar Dodd - New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on December 8, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Categories. 20th CenturyArts, Letters, MusicEducation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,116 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement