Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lutcher Memorial Church Building

 
 
Lutcher Memorial Church Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler, October 4, 2019
1. Lutcher Memorial Church Building Marker
Inscription.  
Founded in 1878, the First Presbyterian Church initially occupied a frame structure built in 1883 at Market and Polk Street. In 1912 the congregation moved to this church building which Frances Ann (Mrs. Henry Jacob) Lutcher (1841-1924) had erected as a gift from the Lutcher family. H. J. Lutcher (1836-1912) amassed a fortune in the Lutcher & Moore Lumber Company. The Lutchers and their two daughters Carrie (Mrs. E. W.) Brown and Miriam (Mrs. William H.) Stark were philanthropists and community leaders. Mrs. Lutcher asked that the cost of the building never be publicized. She and her descendants set up a permanent endowment to maintain the facility.

Fine workmanship and materials appear throughout the structure. The beautiful art glass windows were made by Lamb Studios of New York. For the upper foyer, Mrs. Lutcher chose three prize-winning windows from the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. The marble came from Italy and the granite was shipped by rail from Llano, Texas. The dome is topped by a copper cupola. Decorations on the sanctuary ceiling and walls have gold leaf overlay. The pews and wood paneling in the organ loft are mahogany. Mosaic

Lutcher Memorial Church Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler, October 4, 2019
2. Lutcher Memorial Church Building Marker
work adorns the pulpit, marble communion table and baptismal font. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978
 
Erected 1978 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11496.)
 
Location. 30° 5.593′ N, 93° 44.287′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Green Avenue west of North 8th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 902 Green Avenue, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City of Orange (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (about 500 feet away); Orange Chamber of Commerce (about 500 feet away); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (about 600 feet away); History of Rotary International (about 600 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher (about 700 feet away); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (about 700 feet away); Ever Changing Landscapes (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
Categories. ArchitectureChurches & ReligionNotable Buildings
 
American Presbyterian and Refromed Site marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler, October 4, 2019
3. American Presbyterian and Refromed Site marker
American Presbyterian
And Refromed
Historical Site
No. 170
Registered by
The
Presbyterian Historical
Society
Philadelphia, PA.
 

More. Search the internet for Lutcher Memorial Church Building.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 8, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 31 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.
Paid Advertisement