Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Merchants House of New York

 
 
Old Merchants House of New York Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. Old Merchants House of New York Marker
Inscription. Built in 1831-32 by Joseph Brewster as a row house. Purchased in 1835 by Seabury Treadwell, a merchant, and occupied by his family until 1933. This house is the only 19th Century house in Manhattan to survive intact with its original furniture and family memorabilia. The parlors are historic examples of Greek Revival Architecture. Restored in 1979, the house has been a museum since 1935.
 
Erected by New York City Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 43.671′ N, 73° 59.531′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on 29 East Fourth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New York NY 10003, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Vinne Press Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Firehouse Engine Company No. 33 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 376-380 Lafayette Street (about 400 feet away); Colonnade Row (about 400 feet away); Astor Library (about 400 feet away); Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (about 500 feet away); Bouwerie Lane Theater (about 800 feet away); Cooper Union (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
 
More about this marker.
Old Merchants House of New York image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. Old Merchants House of New York
Plaque is to the left of the front door.
Marker is on front side of the building.
 
Also see . . .  Merchants House Museum site. (Submitted on December 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,040 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement