Folkston in Charlton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Oldest Industry in Charlton
Major Clark was Collector of the Port of St. Marys, and during the War of 1812 refused the demand of the British to turn over to them all Government funds. In reprisal, British forces ascended the St. Marys to burn Major Clark's mill. They were turned back by Capt Wm. Cone with 28 men, and the mill was saved to operate for many years, until suplanted by steam mills.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 024-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 47.791′ N, 82° 2.126′ W. Marker is in Folkston, Georgia, in Charlton County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 121, on the left when traveling south on State Route 121. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Folkston GA 31537, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Masonic Lodge in Charlton County (here, next to this marker); Trader's Hill (Fort Alert) (here, next to this marker); Sardis Church (approx. half a mile away); Okefenokee Swamp (approx. 2.8 miles away); Henry Roddenberry (approx. 3 miles away); Charlton County (approx. 3 miles away); Center Village or Centerville (approx. 3 miles away); Treaty of Coleraine (approx. 8.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Folkston.
Categories. • Notable Places • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2008, by Randy Rain of Sanderson, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,212 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Randy Rain of Sanderson, Florida. 2. submitted on February 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.