Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Alfred Street Baptist Church
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number E 124.)
Location. 38° 48.179′ N, 77° 2.99′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Alfred Street and Duke Street (Virginia Route 236), on the right when traveling south on Alfred Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Alfred Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lyceum ( about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beulah Baptist Church Friendship Fire Company ( about 700 feet away); The Confederate Statue ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexandria Academy ( approx. 0.2 miles away); James Harris House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Capt. James McGuire House ( approx. 0.2 miles away); John Douglass Brown House ( approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Also see . . .
1. A Glimpse of Our History. “The first known building constructed by the congregation was built in 1855. A larger edifice was constructed, without foundation, between 1881 and 1884. This building stands today as the “old church.” A basement was dug and a foyer added in 1897. A pipe organ, stained glass windows and hardwood pews were added in 1926, 1928 and 1941 respectively. The name was changed sometime during the late 19th century to First Colored Baptist Church of Alexandria and then Alfred Street Baptist Church.” (Submitted on June 22, 2008.)
2. Virginia African American Heritage. (Submitted on December 23, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • African Americans • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,441 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on December 23, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 4. submitted on December 23, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.