Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nankin in Brooks County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Columbia Primitive Baptist Church

 
 
Columbia Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 10, 2005
1. Columbia Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Columbia Primitive Baptist Church was formally constituted on the first Sunday in October, 1833, after serving as an arm of Bethany Church more than a year. Moses Dees was the first delegate from Columbia to the annual meeting of the mother church, Union on the Alapaha River, late in October 1833. On May 3, 1833, while Columbia was still an arm of Bethany Church, Thomas Newbern made a deed to the church property to Samuel T. Henderson, Moses Dees, and Jarvis T. Frier as Trustees for Columbia Church.

The first edifice was a little log house across the road from the present church. Later a larger building of hewn logs with puncheon floor was constructed. A more commodious edifice was built in 1872, and has since been improved.

The Rev. Matthew Albritton was one of the earliest pastors, serving the church until 1847.

Columbia Church is a member of the Ochlocknee Association, as it was originally.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 014-7.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 30° 39.754′ N, 83° 28.651′ W. Marker is in Nankin, Georgia, in Brooks County. Marker is on Radford Road (County Route 114) mile west of Madison Highway (Georgia Route 333), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is at the church, on a unnamed dirt road leading south from Radford Road. Marker is in this post office area: Quitman GA 31643, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shiloh Methodist Church ( approx. 4.4 miles away in Florida); Concord Missionary Baptist Church ( approx. 5 miles away in Florida); Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church (was approx. 8.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Civil War Slave Conspiracy ( approx. 9.8 miles away); Brooks County Veterans Monument ( approx. 9.8 miles away); Brooks County ( approx. 9.8 miles away); Our Confederate Dead ( approx. 9.8 miles away); Quitman Veterans Memorial ( approx. 9.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,601 times since then and 43 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement