Auburn in Barrow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Predecessors of Perry-Rainey Institute - Harmony Grove Academy, Mulberry High School and Perry-Rainey College.
Named for Reverend Hiram Rainey and Mrs. W.T. Perry, donors. Institute opened 1893, chartered in 1894, first graduation 1896.
Sold in 1915 to the Christian Church and became SOUTHEASTERN CHRISTIAN COLLEGE until 1924. Sold to Barrow County in 1928 and Administrative Building became Auburn-Consolidated School. Building was torn down in 1958. Only girls dormitory remains owned by R & R Manufacturing Co.
Erected by Friends of Barrow County Historical Society and City of Auburn. (Marker Number 1983.)
Location. 34° 0.618′ N, 83° 49.464′ W. Marker is in Auburn, Georgia, in Barrow County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Avenue and 7th Street, on the right when traveling east on 6th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Auburn GA 30011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 3.4 miles away); Bethabra Baptist Church Elisha Winn House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Fort Yargo (approx. 5.6 miles away); Winder's Most Historical Site (approx. 5.8 miles away); Concord Methodist Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Builder of the Nation (approx. 6 miles away); The Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard (approx. 6 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,737 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on March 21, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.