Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Milledgeville Hotel and Oliver Hardy
Erected 2005 by Georgia Historical Society, the Newcomers Club of Milledgeville and Baldwin County, and the City of Milledgeville. (Marker Number 005-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 4.79′ N, 83° 13.601′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Wayne Street and East Greene Street, on the right when traveling north on South Wayne Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Statehouse Square (a few steps from this marker); In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Stephens Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); Georgia's Secession Convention (about 500 feet away); Troup-Clark Political Feud (about 500 feet away); Milledgeville Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); Provost Guard Campsite (was about 500 feet away but has been reported missing. ); Masonic Temple of Benevolent Lodge No 3, F. & A. M. (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milledgeville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Oliver Hardy (1892-1957). From the New Georgia Encyclopedia
...Returning to Milledgeville in 1910, Hardy worked behind the scenes at a local vaudeville house and a movie theater. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Entertainment • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,375 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on January 17, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on January 27, 2011, by Michael Dover of Ellerslie, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.