Kingman Park in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
George Preston Marshall
Founder of the Washington Redskins
Pioneer in the National Football League
The Washington Redskins organized in nation's capital, 1937.
This memorial is a tribute to George Preston Marshall and the Washington Redskins by the Redskin alumni and friends.
Erected by Redskin alumni and friends.
Location. 38° 53.354′ N, 76° 58.42′ W. Marker is in Kingman Park, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 22nd Street, SE and East Capitol Street, SE on 22nd Street, SE. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20002, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. F-16 Fighting Falcon ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); UH-IV Iroquois ( about 700 feet away); Clark Calvin Griffith ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitney M. Young, Jr. Memorial Bridge ( approx. ¼ mile away); Elbridge Gerry ( approx. half a mile away); Historic Congressional Cemetery ( approx. half a mile away); Heroes of 1814 ( approx. half a mile away); General Peterson Goodwyn ( approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingman Park.
Also see . . . George Preston Marshall. Wikipedia entry. Marshall's insistence that black players not be allowed in the National Football League delayed the integration of the sport by at least a decade. Even in the 1950 when other teams were drafting and signing black players, Marshall refused. Not until 1962, when forced by the Department of the Interior (who administered the stadium where the Redskins played) did Marshall relent. (Submitted on February 1, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium; D.C. Stadium; RFK;
Categories. • Politics • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 1, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,547 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 1, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.