Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Allen Temple AME Church Bell
old to the rebuilt church in 1929.
Present Mounting: Sept. 1983
Donors: W.W. Henderson, Sr., Wilton Wells, Sr., Wilfred Walker, Sr.
Pastor: W.J. Jefferson, Jr.
Elder: C. Jackson
Bishop: F.M. Reid, Jr.
Erected 1983 by Allen Temple AME Church.
Location. 34° 50.5′ N, 82° 24.533′ W. Marker is in Greenville, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Avenue and South Markley Street, on the left when traveling south on Green Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located in a brick display holding the bell, facing the church's main entrance. The church is located in the West End Commercial Historic District. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 Green Avenue, Greenville SC 29601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clay Buchholz ( about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jim Rice ( about 500 feet away); Tommy Lasorda ( about 500 feet away); Lou Brissie ( about 500 feet away); Al Rosen ( about 500 feet away); Joe Anders Chino Smith ( about 500 feet away); Nolan Ryan ( about 500 feet away); John Smoltz ( about 500 feet away); "Shoeless Joe" Jackson House ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenville.
Regarding Allen Temple AME Church Bell. In addition to being part of the West End Commercial Historic District, Allen Temple AME Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
Also see . . .
1. Allen Temple AME Church. Welcome to the website of Allen Temple AME Church and Community Development Family Life Center. (Submitted on February 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Allen Temple A.M.E Church. Allen Temple A.M.E. Church, built 1929-30, is significant as the first A.M.E. church in Greenville, and architecturally significant as an excellent example of early twentieth century Classical Revival ecclesiastical design by Juan Benito Molina, a Cuban-born and educated architect, the only black architect practicing in Greenville in the early twentieth century. (Submitted on October 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. African Methodist Episcopal Church. Welcome to the Official Website of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Incorporated, a Pennsylvania Corporation, administered by the Office of the General Secretary and Chief Information Officer of the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME Church). (Submitted on February 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. African Methodist Episcopal Church. The African Methodist Episcopal Church, usually called the "AME Church", is a Christian denomination founded by Rev. Richard Allen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1816 from several black Methodist congregations in the mid-Atlantic area that wanted independence from white Methodists. (Submitted on February 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. West End Commercial Historic District. The West End Commercial Historic District is significant as Greenville’s second “downtown,” with historic resources dating from ca. 1869 to ca. 1939, the majority of which date from the 1880s to the 1920s, a period of extensive development in the area. (Submitted on September 11, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Allen Temple AME Church
Black churches of other denominations were formed in Greenville in succeeding
— Submitted September 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Allen Temple AME Church - National Register Nomination Form
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church, situated on a triangular parcel bounded by Green Avenue, South Markley, Vardry and Field [formerly Beattie] Streets, in the West End of Greenville, South Carolina, is a large gable-front, late Classical Revival brick building with twin towers of unequal height. Built in 1929-30 and laid in American bond, its design is attributed
The building, basically rectangular in shape, is set upon a partially-subterranean brick basement foundation that features a soldier course water table. A rowlock brick course is located half way between the soldier-course water table and the facade's first floor windows and wraps the building at the window sill level along the church's side elevations. The church's two-story gable-front is dominated by projecting corner towers that flank a tripartite arched entry loggia. The central arch of the loggia is taller and wider than those flanking it. Facing north toward the apex of the triangular lot, the church's west tower is three stories in height and contains a large open arched belfry that once housed the church's bell, belt courses, cornices, corbels and pyramidal finials at each corner of its roof's parapet. A dedicatory cornerstone and commemorative plaque are located
The Green Avenue [west side] elevation is eight bays long [inclusive of the belfry tower], divided by brick pilasters. The first or tower bay features arched windows on the first and second level identical to those on the tower's front [north] elevation. The second, third, fifth and sixth bays along this elevation contain stained glass windows with arched stained glass transoms. The third bay features a large arched tripartite window with three arched sections, the middle of which
The South Markley Street [east side] elevation is identical to the Green Avenue elevation, with the exception that the windows of the first [tower] bay features offset arched stained-glass windows identical to those on the lower tower's front [north] elevation, and the last two bays are obscured by the Dreher Educational Building wing.
All windows feature cast stone sills, wood frames, leaded stained glass [both geometrical and pictorial], keystones and impost blocks. Other architectural features along the upper facade and other elevations include a bordered soldier course band around the entire building, square cast-stone panel insets on each pilaster that align with the bordered soldier course, a rowlock brick band at the height of the pilaster capitals.
The Dreher Educational Building was added to the southeast corner of the church's sanctuary in 1949. Two stories in height with a flat
The principal entries into the sanctuary are through paired six-panel doors from vestibules located on the first level in either of the building's towers. The sanctuary is located on the main floor and is rectangular in shape, with the plaster walls being divided into two sections with baseboard and chair rail defining the base, paneled Doric order pilasters and moulded arched window surrounds punctuating the larger portion of the room's wall surfaces, and a cornice delineating and corresponding to the
The aisles turn as they approach the raised and bowed, balustraded altar rail, behind which is the communion table. The pulpit with central lectern and clerical chairs, as well as the choir loft and organ/piano enclosure, are within a
In the Educational Building addition are ten classrooms, three bathrooms, a kitchen, two meeting rooms, and a basement. The sanctuary itself features a partial basement.
To the rear of the church and facing Green Avenue is a brick-veneered Craftsman bungalow residence that was built ca. 1920 as a frame one-and-one-half story building, but was sheathed in brick between 1929 and 1949, within the property's period of significance. It was long used as the church parsonage, and contributes to the significance of the Allen Temple A.M.E. Church for the period of significance 1929-1949. The house features a full-width, engaged front porch with full-height brick pier supports and a brick balustrade, as well as a large gable-front dormer with knee braces, exposed rafter tails, asbestos shingle siding and a horizontal triple window. Knee braces are still evident at gable ends. One brick chimney pierces the front roof slope, while two rise from the rear roof slopes, on either side of the rear gabled ell. The house is now being used as a soup kitchen for the homeless on Saturdays.
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church is located in the West End area of Greenville, with Fluor Field, home of the local minor league baseball team known as the Greenville Drive, located just across the street. The city of Greenville is developing the entire area. The Allen Temple Community Development Center, built in 2002, is located on the side opposite of the baseball stadium. The original church bell was removed from the belfry tower and placed in September 1983 in a special brick encasement located on the front lawn at the peak [north end] of the triangle area.
Allen Temple A.M.E. [African Methodist Episcopal] Church, built in 1929-30, is significant as the first A.M.E. church in Greenville, the county seat of Greenville County, South Carolina. Organized during Reconstruction as a mission church, it was formally organized as a separate congregation in 1881. It is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C, in the Area of Significance of Architecture, as an excellent example of early twentieth century Classical Revival ecclesiastical design by Juan Benito Molina [ca. 1898-1940], a Cuban-born and -educated architect, the only black architect practicing in Greenville at the time.
Narrative Statement of Significance
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church was one of several churches established in what is commonly referred to as the “West End” neighborhood of Greenville in the last two decades of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century. Four other prominent churches in this section of Greenville served white congregations rather than African-American ones: Pendleton Street Baptist Church, established in 1890 as West End Baptist Church, built its brick Classical Revival church in 1913; St. Paul’s Methodist Church, established in 1891, built its Classical Revival brick church on Pendleton Street in 1913; St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, established as a mission about 1900, built its Gothic Revival brick church on Green Avenue in 1904-05; and Second Presbyterian Church, established in 1892, built its Gothic Revival brick church on Rhett Street in 1909-11. Allen Temple A.M.E. Church was the sole African-American church of this period in the West End, building its present sanctuary in 1929, just before the Great Depression.
The only African-American church in Greenville individually listed in the National Register before the nomination of Allen Temple A.M.E. Church is John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, organized in 1866 as Silver Hill Methodist Church and affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church rather than the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. It built its Gothic Revival brick church at East Court and Fall Streets in Greenville 1899-1903. The church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on January 20, 1978. A second African-American church in Greenville is a contributing resource in a historic district. Mattoon Presbyterian Church, organized in 1878, built its brick church on Hampton Avenue in Greenville in 1887. It is a contributing resource in the Hampton-Pinckney Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 12, 1977.
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church is a later, more sophisticated, and more fully-realized design than either Mattoon Presbyterian Church or John Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church, the other African-American churches in Greenville listed in the National Register. It is not only the finest example of Classical Revival ecclesiastical design of any African-American church in Greenville but among the most significant of them in the entire state.
Two particularly notable African-American churches built about the same time and of the same or similar quality are the Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church (built 1919-1925) in Orangeburg, designed by black architect and South Carolina State College professor Miller F. Whittaker and individually listed in the National Register on September 20, 1985; and Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church (built 1928-1944), also in Orangeburg, designed by South Carolina State College professor of manual training and industrial education William K. Wilkins, and individually listed in the National Register on August 26, 1994.
Allen Temple A.M.E. Church is also fully the equal of many high-style architect-designed churches—whether their congregations were black or white—of the first half of the twentieth century in South Carolina.
The first attempt to establish an African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Greenville occurred in 1871, when Rev. William Beckett led a mission congregation that met in a former Methodist church, on the corner of Coffee and Church Streets. After whites raised objections to a black church meeting there, asking for the deed and the return of payments already made, the newly-formed mission church languished. In 1875, Rev. R.W. Sinclair attempted to organize another A.M.E. mission church, this time renting first a blacksmith’s shop and then a building near the Southern Railway Depot. This mission church boasted thirteen members, and by 1880 was meeting at the corner of West Washington Street and Echols Street, in the same two-story building where Washington Street (later Mattoon) Presbyterian Church, led by Rev. B.R. McDowell, held its worship services. The A.M.E. mission, led by Rev. James T. Baker, purchased the building from the Presbyterians in 1880, and renamed itself—now a full-fledged congregation—Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church.
During the pastorate of Rev. J.F. Jackson, the church sold its property at West Washington Street and Echols Street, and bought its present lot in the triangle formed by Green Avenue and Markley and Vardry Streets. Under Jackson’s successor, Rev. E.H. Croix, a new frame building was erected and the church was renamed Allen Temple A.M.E. Church.
In 1927 the South Carolina Annual Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church assigned Rev. Augustus C. Sumpter (1885-1975) to Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. During Rev. Sumpter’s pastorate the present church was built with the aid of $2000.00 from the Church Extension of the denomination as well as donations from many members and friends of the congregation—some of whom mortgaged their homes to contribute to the building fund. The church was designed by Juan Benito Molina (ca. 1898-1940), a native of Cuba and graduate of the University of Havana who designed several buildings, including residences and churches, in North and South Carolina. Rev. Sumpter laid the first brick, and the cornerstone was laid November 3, 1929. When completed in 1930, the new church was dedicated by Bishop John E. Hurst.
In 1947, the Annual Conference assigned Rev. Franklin D. Dreher to Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. A group of members of the Board of Trustees approached Rev. Dreher on the subject of erecting a Sunday School building.. The new Sunday School Building (later called the Dreher Education Building) also housed nursery-kindergarten students. Allen Temple A.M.E. Church was the first black church in Greenville to offer a nursery-kindergarten program.
— Submitted October 19, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,033 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 8, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on September 7, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on February 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 8. submitted on November 25, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9, 10. submitted on February 9, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.